Clarity Law

Specialist Criminal Law Firm Queensland
Thursday, 25 January 2024 17:47

How do I find my court date?

Written by
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

How do I find my court date

Facing criminal charges can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. One crucial aspect of navigating the legal process is keeping track of your court dates. In Queensland staying informed about when you are required to appear in court for a criminal or traffic matter is essential.

This article will guide you through the steps to check the date of your criminal court appearance in Queensland.


How do I find out my court date?

Bail Documents

If you have been granted bail in court or by the police then the bail document will contain the next court date.


Notice to appear

If the police issue you with a notice to appear in court then that document will have listed your first mention date in court.



The court brief or more commonly called the QP9 contains on the first page the date of the first mention date in court for the charges.


Online lookup

The easiest way to find your court date is to use the criminal case lookup portal run by the courts. This has information on all criminal and traffic offences listed in the Magistrate, District and Supreme courts in Queensland. It also covers special hardship and work licence applications.

To access the criminal case lookup you need your first and last name as well as your date of birth.

Click here to access the Criminal Case Lookup


Contact the court

You can contact the court registry for the court you are appearing in by clicking on the court contact list.


Speak to your lawyer

If you have engaged a Criminal Lawyer or Traffic Lawyer who has already been to court on the matter they will know your next court date. This is most common when your lawyer was permitted to attend on your behalf so you would not have been in court to hear the new court date.


What happens if I miss my court date?

If you miss a court date in Queensland, there's likely a warrant for your arrest. You can contact the court to check for a warrant and surrender yourself for a better outcome.

Surrendering promptly is advised to avoid arrest. The surrender process involves appearing at the court registry, explaining reasons for missing the date, and stating your intentions (guilty plea, legal advice, or challenging the offence).

You can surrender at any court, not necessarily the one issuing the warrant, as per the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000.

Getting a lawyer for surrender is recommended, especially for serious offences or if you lack confidence. Hiring a lawyer for surrender doesn't obligate you to retain them for the entire case. Dealing with the charge causing the warrant immediately depends on the offence; legal advice is crucial. The key message is clear: take proactive steps and surrender before waiting to be arrested.

Learn More: We have a whole article on What do I do when you have missed your court date!


I’m sick and won’t be able to attend court, what should I do?

Contact the court and explain the situation. Depending on the circumstances the court may require you to provide a medical certificate or appear by phone. Different courts will have different approaches to people who are sick on their court date, so what occurs in one court may not occur in another.


I’m running late for court what can I do?

Ring the courthouse you are going to and explain the situation. Don’t just hope everything will be fine.

I have a court date coming up but my lawyer told me I don’t need to attend

If you have legal representation, your lawyer should keep you informed about upcoming court dates. In many cases where bail has been granted a lawyer can appear on your behalf without you needing to attend the court.


Useful links

Criminal Case Lookup

Queensland courts contact details

Read 147 times
Steven Brough

Steven Brough is a criminal defence lawyer and founder of Clarity Law with over 22 years experience he has appeared in almost every court in Queensland representing clients charged with criminal offences and getting them the best outcome possible.